The global COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic is affecting all of our families, businesses, communities, lives and many of our employees are inquiring about the ability to work from home. AmeriClerkships was founded on core values — trust, Member outcomes, innovation, and equality — and our values are unwavering and continue to guide everything we do.
First, our hearts go out to anyone who’s been impacted by the virus, either directly or indirectly, especially with those who are sick; get the care you need, and get well. Second, we’re truly inspired by the selfless healthcare workers around the world, especially our affiliated physicians and clinical sites who continue to accept our Members. Third, at AmeriClerkships we are focused on the health and safety of our employees, families, members, physician preceptors and patients. Fourth, while this is uncharted territory for EVERY company in the world, the investment we made in AmeriClerkships’ digital infrastructure was to help us handle moments like this. Fifth, at AmeriClerkships “We Make Doctors” no matter the circumstances, so to this end:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): We have purchased and are actively distributing our inventory of 6,000 KN95/FFP2 face masks and other PPE: ~40% is allocated to our members for use during their upcoming US clinical blocks, and 60% being donated to AmeriClerkships affiliated healthcare facilities with the greatest need. Click here to learn more or get PPE.
- AmeriClerkships is Now 100% Cloud-Based: Every AmeriClerkships employee is working remotely and providing the same level of service as it did pre-COVID-19.
- Identifying Clinical Sites Available During COVID: Our Member’s wellbeing, education level, desire to volunteer, and the preceptor’s ability to teach during a pandemic are considerations we take every day in clinical placement. Following the AMA Practical Guide to Restoring Clinical Rotations for Medical Students, we have identified 240+ qualifying clinical sites where we place medical students (both ‘For Credit’ and ‘Not for Credit’) and medical graduates in, and continue to stay in touch with these sites and adjust this list as needed.
- COVID-Match Response Team: I am leading a centralized team of experts to respond to all concerns surrounding COVID. I am a U.S. medical residency trained family medicine physician, and my Masters Degree thesis was in Bioterrorism, and collectively, our Response Team’s representatives have either personally experienced, or helped others survive, or held leadership roles in the following emergencies & disasters:
- COVID-19 global pandemic (2020 and ongoing)
- Hurricanes Mitch (1999), Katrina (2005), Harvey (2017), Michael (2018)
- Las Vegas Shooting (2017)
- Polar vortex in Colorado (2019)
- California fires (2018)
- Multiple medical student evacuations from Caribbean medical schools to mainland US due to hurricanes (2003 to 2007)
- Multiple mass transplantation of medical students from canceled hospital contracts to new teaching hospitals (2007 to present)
- Houston floods (2017 & 2018)
- Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)
- COVID-19 Relief For 2021 Match (All Funds Allocated/Closed): A multi-phasic relief aimed at medical residency candidates with greatest needs (multiple USMLE attempts, veteran graduates, medical school transfers, etc.), as well as free Loyalty Memberships to all past and present AmeriClerkships Members who are still unmatched.
- Mitigating Travel Restrictions via Live Online Clinical Experience (LOCE) and Live Online Research Experience (LORE): COVID-19 encouraged preceptors to continue teaching safely, in new ways. While seeing patients using innovative telemedicine solutions (including nurse-assisted bedside video rounds) with students and residents from their clinics, these same preceptors permitted our Members to complete their clinical blocks uninterruptedly by including them either ‘In Person’ from their clinics, or by allowing our Members to login 100% remotely without setting foot in the clinic (‘LOCE/LORE’), with strict adherence to HIPAA patient confidentially laws.
- Helping and Guiding our Affiliates: Our COVID-Match Response Team is in constant contact with our affiliated clinical sites, and helping guide our physicians in navigating through unique challenges that COVID-19 is presenting everyone with.
- All Scheduled Change Fees Waived for clinical blocks starting between March and September, 2020: We are steadfast in our commitment to our Members, therefore AmeriClerkships gladly waived all change fees (except clinical site difference fees) for any rescheduling that may have needed to occur as a direct result of COVID-19, however, we strongly encouraged our members to not overlook this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience our healthcare systems response to a global pandemic by reading our COVID-19 plan for our affiliated attending physicians, clinical sites, hospitals and other healthcare facilities.
- Keeping you informed: We’ve compiled the below FAQ to answer the most common questions in regards to the virus and its effect on your AmeriClerkships clinical rotations. As the situation changes, we’ll be adding to and updating our response each day to ensure you have answers to any of your COVID-19 questions.
We have amazing teams across AmeriClerkships that are here for you. This moment reminds us that we’re all connected like never before. We’re called upon to be our best selves, with patience, understanding and compassion. On behalf of all of us at AmeriClerkships, we’re committed to being your partner and persevering together in all the days and years ahead.
As we go forward, we’ll be sure to keep you updated, and know that we always value your questions, ideas and feedback.
Thank you for your trust in AmeriClerkships.